If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
The boysenberry is a delicious blend between a European raspberry, a European blackberry, an American dewberry & loganberry, and it got its start at Knott’s Berry Farm in Buena Park, California. To celebrate, every spring at Knott’s Berry Farm, there’s a Knott’s Boysenberry Festival! It will run this year from March 16th to April 8th, and is included in the price of admission (and if you want to save money on admission, I recommend buying your ticket through Reserve Los Angeles).
I think you and your family/friends will really enjoy this festival. Here are 10 reasons why:
- Boysenberry Savory Foods: The culinary team at Knott’s Berry Farm will use the berry in lots of creatives ways, like Boysenberry Jerk Chicken Wings, Boysenberry Habanero Baked Mac and Cheese, Boysenberry Jambalaya with Chicken and Sausage, Boysenberry Meatball Sandwich, etc.
- Boysenberry Sweet Treats: If you love sweets, then you’re going to love the treats Knott’s Berry Farm has this year with boysenberry! You can try the Boysenberry Cheesecake on a Stick, Boysenberry and Lemon Funnel Cake, Boysenberry Churro Sundae with Boysenberry Ice Cream, Boysenberry Cookiewich, etc.
- Tasting Cards: If you want to try a lot of these foods but don’t want to pay full price for the whole item, you can buy the tasting card, where you can get a sampling of 8 delicious items.
- Boysenberry Drinks: A unique assortment of both alcohol & non-alcoholic boysenberry infused drinks will be available at the festival, such as Boysenberry Draft Beer, Boysenberry Lite Margaritas, The “Walter Knott” (Iced tea & boysenberry punch), etc.
- Wine & Craft Brew Tasting Garden: In addition to Boysenberry drinks, there will be a Wine & Craft Brew Garden located inside of Ghost Town’s Wilderness Dance Hall that will have over a dozen of local craft brews plus a dozen of hand-selected gourmet wines from around the world.
- Knott’s Art Show: In addition to the wine & craft brew, you can also view stunning original art by Southern California artisans at the Wine & Craft Brew Garden
- Merchandise: You don’t have to just enjoy boysenberry in the parks! You can purchase delicious items to take home with you, like chocolate varieties, candy, coffee, soda, jerky & even a complete bath & body line. You can also take home your own boysenberry plant so you can plant your own boysenberries! You can also find over a dozen of local artisans who have their own boysenberry & western inspired products which you can purchase on the streets of the Old West at the Crafts Fair.
- Snoopy’s Boysenberry Jamboree: At the Calico Main Stage, Snoopy, Charlie Brown & the whole Peanuts Game will present an audience interactive musical revue!
- Cordelia’s Pie Kitchen: You can step inside a replica of Cordelia Knott’s 1st kitchen, and young children can make their own boysenberry tarts with a crumble topping (Pie making does cost extra).
- History of the Boysenberry: If you want to learn more about the history of the boysenberry, and how Walter & Cordelia Knott ended up settling in Buena Park, you can watch a film at the Ghost Town Town Hall