If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
On the 12th day of Christmas, January 6, Three Kings Day is celebrated in Spain, Latin America, most of Europe and many Caribbean countries. El Dia de los Reyes, as it’s called in Spanish, commemorates the three Wise Men’s visit to baby Jesus. They brought presents of gold, frankincense and myrrh.
The holiday is also known as Epiphany. This dates back to the 4th century when a grand feast would be held on this day to pay homage to the three Wise Men, Melchior, Caspar and Balthasar.
The culinary treat that is associated with this holiday is Rosca de Reyes, aka King Cake. It is a dessert bread shaped in a circle like a crown. There is a small plastic figurine representing the baby Jesus. Whoever finds this token has to host a celebration on Candlemas Day or gets a prize, depending on where you are.
Three Kings Day is celebrated with different traditions around the world. Children leave out treats for the Wise Men and their camels and, in return, receive a toy or candy from the Wise Men. It is also celebrated by a feast, using traditional dishes, like rice and beans or peas and slow cooked meats.
New Orleans celebrates Three Kings Day with parades and drinking. And the holiday is gaining popularity in many other parts of the U.S.
Many San Antonio bakeries are letting people preorder Rosca de Reyes in the last week of December. They bake the King Cakes in different sizes and with different fillings. San Antonio has many Mexican and Latin American restaurants offering festive meals.
Little Flower Basilica is having a reception after the 5:30 Mass on January 8, 2022. They will be serving Rosca de Reyes and hot chocolate. The children will receive gifts.
Every year, the Puerto Rican Heritage Society celebrates Three Kings Day with the children of San Antonio. This is a very special day in Puerto Rico.
Also on January 6, 2023, the San Antonio Spurs are celebrating Fiesta Night with festive activities and giveaways throughout the night. The Spurs will take on the Detroit Pistons at 7 pm. You can get a great price for tickets for this game here.
San Antonio Hotels
If you’d like to visit San Antonio for Three Kings Day, you should consider the following hotels that are offering discounted rates.
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Lackland AFB San Antonio, TX 25% Discount
- Days Inn by Wyndham San Antonio Near Fiesta Park 20% Discount
- Red Roof Inn San Antonio – Airport 20% Discount
- Days Inn by Wyndham San Antonio
- Northwest/SeaWorld 20% Discount
- OYO Inn & Suites Medical Center San Antonio 20% Discount
- Alamo Inn & Suites Downtown 16% Discount
- Crockett Hotel 15% Discount
- Mokara Hotel & Spa San Antonio 15% Discount
- Days Inn by Wyndham San Antonio Morgan’s Wonderland/IH – 35 N 15% Discount
- La Quinta Inn by Wyndham San Antonio Vance Jackson 15% Discount
- Days Inn by Wyndham Suites San Antonio North/Stone Oak 14% Discount
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham San Antonio Medical Center NW 14% Discount
- La Hacienda Inn 14% Discount
- Omni La Maison del Rio 10% Discount
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham San Antonio by AT&T Center 10% Discount
- Sonesta ES Inn & Suites by Wyndham San Antonio Alamo Plaza 10% Discount
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham San Antonio Alamo City 10% Discount
- Red Roof Inn PLUS + San Antonio Downtown Riverwalk 10% Discount
- Sonesta ES Suites San Antonio Northwest – Medical Center 10% Discount
- La Quinta Inn by Wyndham San Antonio I-35 N at Toepperwein 10% Discount
- Sky Palace by Jasper Near AT&T Center 10% Discount
- Hampton Inn San Antonio Stone Oak 10% Discount
- Days Inn by Wyndham San Antonio Alamo/Riverwalk 10% Discount
- Hotel Valencia Riverwalk 7% Discount
- Hotel Contessa 5% Discount