If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
The Los Angeles Rum Festival is coming to the Majestic Ballroom in downtown Los Angeles on September 8, 2023. This will be a celebration of rum and will showcase premium brands in this boutique style event.
In the 1700s, rum was the most consumed spirit in the U.S. but it was overtaken by other spirits. However, in recent years, there has been a resurgence of interest in rum.
Rum is defined as “spirits distilled from the fermented juice of sugar cane, sugar cane syrup, sugar cane molasses or other sugar cane by products at less than 95% alcohol by volume and bottled at not less than 40% alcohol by volume.”
There are 7 classifications of rum
- Light Rum is crisp and clear and works well in classic cocktails, like Daiquiris.
- Gold Rum is caramel colored and usually mixed with soft drinks, like Coca-Cola.
- Dark Rum, aka Black Rum, is a blend of rum and caramel or molasses and is used in tropical drinks or tropical punches.
- Overproof Rum is stronger and has a high alcohol by volume.
- Spiced & Flavored Rum is young rum flavored with fruit.
- Aged Rum – The longer it’s aged the more expensive it is and it’s used in high quality cocktails.
- Rhum Agricole is made from fresh pressed cane juice and it’s expensive and often enjoyed straight up.
If you love rum, the Rum Festival is where you want to be on that Friday in September. You’ll receive a 3 ounce souvenir cup which you can use for the Grand Tasting.
Participating distilleries include
- Pere Labat
- 9 North
- Canada Rum
- English Harbour Antigua Rum
- Alambique Serrano Single Origin Oaxaca Rum
- Bayou Rum
- Long Pond
- Barcelo Ron Dominicano
- Copalli Rum
- Flor de Cana Rum
- SelvaRey Rum
- Clement Rhum
- Worthy Park
- Rhum J.M
- Tanduay Rum
- Bounty Rum
- Pyrat Rums
- Chairman’s Reserve Rum
- Diamond Reserve
- Santa Teresa 1796
- Hampton Estate
- River Antoine Estate
- Saison Rum
- El Dorado Rum
- Ron Carupano
- Marigot Bay
- Black Tot Rum
- Diplomatico Rum
- Rhum Barbancourt
- Ron Centenario
- Canerock Jamaican Special Rum
- The ImpEx Collection
- Clement Rhum
You can enjoy unlimited pours from different rums during the Grand Tasting. Distillery representatives will be there discussing their new issues and their top brands. They can answer questions you may have about the distilling process and food pairings or mixers.
You can stroll from table to table sipping rum and comparing notes on samples with other rum enthusiasts. At the Los Angeles Rum Festival, you can sip and savor great rum and expand your palate and your knowledge of rum. Sounds like a great time to me.
Book your ticket here and you can save $49 (56% discount) on each ticket.