If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
Cannon Beach, California Travel Guide
“One Of The World’s 100 Most Beautiful Places” National Geographic, 2013
“30 Small Beach Towns That Should Be On Your Radar” U.S. News & World Report
A small coastal city in northwest Oregon, Cannon Beach is known for its lovely long, sandy beach. This popular tourist destination is famous for Haystack Rock, a 295 foot (72m) sea stack that juts out in the Pacific Ocean. It is a seasonal haven for tufted puffins.
Hug Point State Recreation Site is 5 miles to the south of Cannon Beach. This lovely sandy cove beach is backed by hills with beautiful vegetation, caves carved into sandstone cliffs, a waterfall, and tide pools accessible at low tide.
Before the highway was constructed, the only way to travel along the coast was on the beach. At low tide, you can walk along the old stagecoach road and see the wheel ruts carved into the rock. When pioneers went around the headland they had to carefully hug the point, even at low tide. Hence the name Hug Point.
Oswald West State Park is a 2,484-acre park. It is without a doubt one of the most spectacular parks in Oregon. It offers miles of hiking trails and has one of the best-preserved rainforests in the state.
Cannon Beach is a picturesque village by the sea filled with art galleries, boutiques, cafes, and fine dining restaurants.
If you’re in Cannon Beach, be careful where you go after dark. If you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time, you could encounter the Bandage Man. He is said to be covered in bandages, smelling of rotting flesh and leaves behind small bloody bandages.
The first report of the Bandaged Man is from the 1960s. A teenage couple was parked in an overlook along Highway 101 near Cannon Beach. Their pickup truck shifted and they saw a man in the truck bed covered in bandages rocking the truck back and forth. He started pounding on the window and the top of the truck. The boy pulled out and raced down the highway and the man disappeared.
Over the years, drivers have reported the Bandage Man jumping into their cars at night. Sweethearts parking haveo seen him approaching their cars. He’s been seen on the beach or walking down the side of Highway 101. There’s a short road off Highway 101 that’s locally known as the “Bandage Man Road.”
If you would like to visit Cannon Beach, you should consider booking your hotel through Hotels.com where you can save as much as 51% off the regular rate. Here are the 22 best deals.
- Coast River Inn 51% Discount
- Comfort Inn & Suites Convention Center/Boardwalk 51% Discount
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites – Convention Center 51% Discount
- Quality Inn 51% Discount
- Ashore Hotel 48% Discount
- Best Western Plus Ocean View Resort 48% Discount
- Seaside Oceanfront Inn 44% Discount
- River Inn at Seaside 36% Discount
- Ocean Front Motel 35% Discount
- The Gilbert Inn 33% Discount
- SeaShore Inn…on the Beach 32% Discount
- Rivertide Suites Hotel 29% Discount
- Ecola Creek Lodge 25% Discount
- The Waves/The Argonaut Inn 25% Discount
- Beach Drive Suites 20% Discount
- SaltLine Hotel 20% Discount
- Beachside Inn 15% Discount
- Red Lion Inn & Suites Seaside 15% Discount
- Shilo Inn Suites Hotel – Seaside Oceanfront 15% Discount
- The Ocean Lodge 14% Discount
- Inn at Cannon Beach 14% Discount
- Inn at Haystack Rock 13% Discount