If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
The Best Private Guided Jewish Tour of Paris
The Hebrew community has a long history in Paris, France. In fact, there was even a Hebrew community in Paris before there was France! Get a better understanding of this history in this private 2-hour walking tour.
It is a guided tour and your tour guide knows a lot about Jewish history in the Marais district of Pairs. You’ll learn about the history of the Jewish community dating back to Medieval times. You learn about the medieval origins of different superstitions and prejudgments about the Hebrew community. This tour takes you from centuries of persecution to the horrific WWII period and even to contemporary times.
Other important points made during this tour include:
- The raids of the French kings
- The Dreyfus affair
- World War II Nazi occupation
- the Vichy government & their anti-Jewish legislation
You will also visit a lot of different locations in Paris that is important to Jewish history & culture.
- The memorial to the victims of the Vichy regime
- The Pletzl area in the traditional Jewish quarter, which has served as the historical center of Paris’ Hebrew community
- Rue des Écouffes
- the Art Nouveau synagogue in the Rue Pavée, a 100-year-old jewel of Art Nouveau architecture
- the Goldenberg Deli, where you learn of its contemporary importance
This is a 2-hour tour. You’ll need to check the availability to learn about the start time.
The tour meeting point used to be at the Charlemagne statue in front of Notre Dame de Paris. But as Notre Dame de Paris is being reconstructed, that meeting point has changed. Instead, you will meet in front of the Shakespeare and Co. bookstore, which is by the green water fountain.
The tour is wheelchair accessible. It also runs rain or shine. You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance and still get a full refund.
Click here to get started booking this tour.