If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
Known as the Chinese New Year in the United States, 2022 Lunar New Year will begin on February 1 and the celebrations will last 15 days. This is the year of the Tiger, the third sign in the Chinese zodiac.
Chinese New Year is celebrated grandly in Chicago. Chicago’s Chinatown is the second largest American Chinatown with an estimated 70,000 Chinese American residents. Chinatown has colorful shops, impressive landmarks and delicious restaurants.
2022 Chinatown Lunar New Year Parade
The 2022 Chinatown Lunar New Year Parade will be happening on Sunday, February 13. It will begin at 1 pm at the intersection of 24thStreet and Wentworth Avenue. The parade will travel north on Wentworth toward the viewing stand at Wentworth and Cermak. You’ll see traditional dragon dancing teams, lion dancing teams, beautiful floats, marching bands and marching groups.
Argyle Lunar New Year Celebration
On Saturday, February, 2022, the Argyle Lunar New Year Celebration begins at 12 pm. Uptown’s Lunar New Year Parade will begin at 1 pm at the intersection of Argyle and Winthrop. It will feature dancers, local community groups, cultural institutions and performers. Local Uptown organizations will be having pop-ups with family friendly activities on Argyle between 12 pm and 4 pm. The Bezazian Library on West Amelie Street will have the Year of the Tiger Storytime & Crafts from 12 pm to 12:45 pm.
Chinese New Year Party of Greater Chicago
The 38th annual Chinese New Year Party of Greater Chicago will be happening on Saturday, February 12, 2022 from 5 pm to 11:30 pm. It will be attended by more than 1,000 people, including Chinese American community leaders, celebrities, friends and media. The party will celebrate the 4,720th Chinese New Year of the Tiger.
The party is in the Hilton Chicago in their International Ballroom. Hilton Chicago is a luxury hotel overlooking Grant Park with an indoor pool, sundeck and Fitness Center. Click here for ways to save on your stay at the Hilton Chicago.
If you visit Chicago during the New Year celebration, you should take a Chinatown Food & Walking Tour. Learn about Chinatown, Chinese culture and the different Chinese cuisines. Sample a variety of regional Chinese dishes.
Where to Stay in Chicago
If you’d like to visit Chicago to enjoy the celebrations, you should consider the following hotels. They are located near the celebrations and, if you click on our links, you can save money on your stay.
- Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown South Loop
- Congress Plaza Hotel
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown South Loop
- Sonder at Grant Park
- Hilton Garden Inn Chicago McCormick Place
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Chicago Downtown
- Hampton Inn Chicago McCormick Place
- Staypineapple, An Iconic Hotel, The Loo
- Hampton Inn Majestic Chicago Theatre District
- Virgin Hotels Chicago
- Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown Riverwalk
- The Allegro Royal Sonesta Hotel
- Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Central Loop
- Club Quarters Hotel, Wacker at Michigan
- LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton
- Hyatt Regency Chicago
- theWit Chicago – a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
- River Hotel
- Palmer House, a Hilton Hotel
- Fairmont Chicago at Millennium Park
- The St. Claire Hotel – Magnificent Mile
- Cambria Hotel Chicago Loop – Theatre District
- Royal Sonesta Chicago Downtown
- Nobu Hotel Chicago
- Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown
- Royal Sonesta Chicago River North
- Hotel Felix River North Magnificent
- Omni Chicago Hotel
- 21c Museum Hotel Chicago
- Found Hotel Chicago River North