If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
Portland’s Winter Light Festival is upon us. It will run from February 3 to February 11, 2023.
The Light Festival features dynamic anchor art sites in the City Center, including
- Pioneer Courthouse Square
- World Trade Center and Plaza
- Electric Blocks at SE 2nd and Clay
There will also be artwork in displays throughout Portland, from business windows and private houses to a historic amusement park and an urban goat farm.
The light based artwork will range from pop up light art installations on storefronts to large scale interactive art installations, kinetic fire sculptures and building projections.
Portland Winter Light Festival will have
- Flying Saucers – Play a Space Invaders/Galactica style game in the 180 foot tall Oregon City Elevator.
- The Chromosphere is five feet in diameter, wide frame sphere. It is composed of 2,400+ animated LED lights that dance and react to sound from an attached microphone.
- Morrison Bridge Lights – The colorful LED lights on the Morrison Bridge bring beauty to the cityscape at night.
- Cosmic Continuum is interactive art at the World Trade Center.
- Astral Projection – A viewing portal into the vast galaxy, endlessly morphing into the most brilliant colors and energy.
- Dream Pipe – Step inside the interactive unreal space where your motion controls a shower of lights. This is not to be missed.
- Snow Globe brings light into the long winter nights.
- Wormhole Helix – A world of wormholes and blackholes
- Cassini Portal offers a unique look into the transitioning moons cycles of Earth and Saturn’s orbits in an area of refracted light.
- Wormhole Mars – Step into the microcosmic aqua world of the great vortex.
- Giza Plateau is an Aqua Arcs creation of the Giza Plateau with the Sun God Ra, the Giant Pyramid and a looming Saturn.
- Magic Crystal Ball Kaleidoscope with lights controlled by a magical and mysterious crystal ball.
- Astral Flare – Shining brightly, Astrao Flare is a beacon of ignite and inspire.
And, believe me when I say there is sooo much more to see. I’ve only told you about a fraction of the light installations.
Attendees are encouraged to come in costume. Click here and here to see some costumes that would go with The Light of Stars.
This is a family friendly event, free to attend and open to everyone. Come see for yourself the beauty and wonder of the Portland Winter Light Festival.
Portland Hotel Deals
If you’d like to visit Portland during the Winter Light Festival, you should consider the following hotels. They are offering discounted rates which could save you money on your stay.
- Barsala At KoZ 30% Discount
- Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport 30% Discount
- Koz Studios By Barsale 29% Discount
- Milwaukee Inn Portland South 25% Discount
- Mark Spencer Hotel 20% Discount
- Park Lane Suites & Inn 20% Discount
- Nordic Inn & Suites 19% Discount
- Capitol Hill Hotel 19% Discount
- The Bidwell Marriott Portland 15% Discount
- KEX Portland 12% Discount
- WorldMark Portland – Waterfront Park 12% Discount
- Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Beaverton 12% Discount
- Portland International Guesthouse 11% Discount
- The Royal Sonesta Portland Downtown 10% Discount
- Staypineapple, Hotel Rose, Downtown Portland 10% Discount
- Hotel Lucia 10% Discount
- The Heathman Hotel 10% Discount
- Holiday Motel 10% Discount
- Hotel Grand Stark 10% Discount
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Portland NW 10% Discount
- Sunnyside Inn & Suites 10% Discount
- Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center 7% Discount
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Portland International Airport, OR 6% Discount
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Portland Data Park, OR 6% Discount