If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
Calling all dumpling lovers! I’ve got something you’re really going to love. The World Dumpling Fest is coming to Logan Square Park on September 9, 2023, from 12 pm to 7 pm. The goal of this event is for people of all ages to discover different cultural traditions through food, dance and music. Join in a celebration of the diverse and delicious world of dumplings.
The dictionary definition of a dumpling is a small, savory ball of dough (usually made with suet) which may be boiled, fried or baked.
Experience the diversity of Chicago and its cuisine by sampling dumplings from over a dozen neighborhood based ethnic restaurants in and around Chicago. Dumplings are enjoyed by people around the world. I find it interesting to see how different cuisines have different takes on the dumpling. At the fest, you can enjoy the unique twists and flavors of each cuisine.
Dumplings you’ll find at the festival include
- Empanadas – Latin American
- Lumpia – Filipino
- Alcapurra – Puerto Rican
- Momo – Himalayan
- Doumbray – Haitian
- Samosas – South Asian
- Tamales – Mexican
- Mandu – Korean
- Pierogi – Polish, Russian and Ukrainian
- Takoyaki – Japanese
- Bao – Chinese
- Sambusas – Ethiopian
The World Dumpling Fest will also have cultural performances, live entertainment and other activities that will reflect the global heritage of the dumplings.
Music & Dance
- Bomba Puerto Rican dance group
- Center of Peruvian Arts
- Chicago Balinese Gamelan
- Crossing Borders Music
- Filipino Tiniking dancers
- Kalapriya Center for Indian Performing Arts
- Korean Performing Arts Institute of Chicago (KPAC)
- Nejla Yatkin
Attendees are encouraged to bring picnic blankets and get comfortable to watch the entertainment.
There will be a beer tent and you can purchase Pils Chicago Pilsner, Son of Juice Hazy IPA or Charlatan American Pale Ale Water. “World Dumpling Fest” T-shirts will also be available for purchase.
I’ll bet you’d be interested in saving money on World Dumpling Fest. Book your ticket here and you can save
- $5 (20% discount) on admission to the fest and 5 dumpling tastings
- $8 (20% discount) on admission to the fest and 10 dumpling tastings
- $10 (25% discount) on admission to the fest, 5 dumpling tastings and 1 T-Shirt
Make Your Own Dumplings
If you liked the dumplings at the fest and would like to learn more about cooking dumplings, try these cookbooks. And use our links to see how you can save money on each of them.
- Dumplings Equal Love: Delicious Recipes from Around the World by Liz Crain
- Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas and More by Andrea Nguyen and Penny De Los Santos
- Pierogi: Over 50 Recipes to Create Perfect Polish Dumplings by Zuza Zak