If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
York Harbor, Maine Travel Guide
York, Maine, is one of America’s oldest cities. Originally settled by the Native American tribe Abenaki, the town was called “Agamenticus” which was the name given by the tribe to the York River. The tribe was wiped out by a plague and the area was resettled in 1630 by English colonists.
In 1640, Sir Fernandino Gorges, a friend of Charles I, created the city, calling it “Gorgeana.” Sir Gorges lost power and Gorgeana became the Village of York.
The Old Gaol sits on the hill and has been overlooking the village since 1719. It is the oldest surviving English building in the U.S. Visit the cells and dungeons. The restored living quarters where the jailer and his family lived next to the cells. One bedroom window opens into one of the cells.
The Old York Cemetery has the usual collection of fascinating tombstones plus a grave said to be that of a witch. It is covered with a huge slab of stone to protect the villagers from a reappearance.
Jefferds Tavern was built in 1750 and was restored to recreate a true Colonial tavern. Built in 1741, the York Corner Schoolhouse is a one-room school used for more than 100 years.
A classic Maine vacation destination, York is an ideal getaway for families. York Beach is divided into different beautiful beaches. The popular Long Sands Beach has 2 miles of sand and is great for surfing. Short Sands Beach has a carousel, playground, arcade, restaurants and shops. There is a candy store that since 1896 has let people watch them make salt water taffy.
York Harbor hass seaside inns and resorts, a beach with gentle surf and views of the Atlantic Ocean and ships going in and out of the harbor.
The Cliff Walk winds around the northern side of the entrance to the harbor along the cliff side.
It is a short one mile out and back trail that abruptly ends. You’ll get spectacular views of the harbor and the beach below plu the huge mansions along the coast.
Walk across the aptly named Wiggly Bridge on York River. The Nubble Light, built in 1879, is a beautiful lighthouse and may be the most photographed lighthouse in the U.S.
Mount Agamenticus the tallest mountain on the southern Maine coast at 692’ above sea level. Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders enjoy the hike to the summit. You can also drive there for a picnic and views as far as Boston, Cape Elizabeth and Mount Washington.
The York River is an estuary where fresh and salt water mix with the tides. Protected marshes and coves act as a nursery for young crustaceans, fish and shore birds. Birds seen here include sandpipers, egrets, great blue herons, night herons and kingfishers. Watch awhile and you’ll see bald eagles and ospreys dive for fish You can also see fox, deer, muskrats or a river otter.
Anglers come here in pursuit of flounder, bluefish and striped bass. Fishing from bridges is allowed except over the boat channel.
So visit York Harbor for a classic New England vacation and do it with a savings. Here are some great deals on hotels with discounts up to 61% off regular rates.
- Northeaster Motel 61% Discount
- Great Island Inn 60% Discount
- Port Inn & Suites, Ascend Hotel Collection 50% Discount
- Best Western York Inn 46% Discount
- Stage Run By The Sea 42% Discount
- Ogunquit River Inn, Ascend Hotel Collection 41% Discount
- Abalonia Inn 40% Discount
- Seacoast Motel 39% Discount
- Coachman Inn 37% Discount
- Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel 37% Discount
- York Harbor Motel 36% Discount
- The Grand Hotel 35% Discount
- Sheraton Harborside Hotel 34% Discount
- Stage Neck Inn 34% Discount
- The Water Street Inn 34% Discount
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott Seacoast 30% Discount
- Marginal Way House Hotel 30% Discount
- The Sea View Motel 30% Discount
- Quality Inn 26% Discount
- Pink Blossom Family Resort 25% Disscount
- The Majestic Regency Resort 24% Discount
- Dunes On The Waterfront 21% Discount
- Stones Throw 21% Discount
- Sea Turn Motel 20% Discount
- Old Village Inn 19% Discount
- Sands by the Sea Motel 19% Discount
- Inn at Sea Chambers 15% Discount
- The Mariner Resort 15% Discount
- Anchorage Inn & Resort 14% Discount
- Meadowmere Resort 14% Discount
- The Lighthouse Inn & Carriage House 14% Discount
- Grand View Inn & Cottages 13% Discount
- Towne Lyne Motel 13% Discount
- Anchorage by the Sea 11% Discount
- Gorges Great Hotel 11% Discount
- The Milestone 10% Discount