If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
Since 1995, the city of Rochester, New York, has hosted the Rochester Music Festival as a family friendly music experience. In 2018, it was rebranded as the Rochester Summer Soul Music Festival and is the city’s official finale to the summer season.
The music festival has grown from there. This year, the 27th annual Rochester Summer Soul Festival will have two days of music on Friday, August 18 and Saturday, August 19, 2023. Both evenings will be dedicated to celebrating 50 years of Hip Hop and the Soul of Rochester.
This will be happening at Parcel 5 in downtown Rochester. Gates will open at 4 pm each day and the fantastic music will run from 5 pm to 11 pm. You can bring lawn chairs, but no blankets or outside food or beverages. Some of the area’s best food trucks will be there with delicious dishes, snacks and desserts. Beer will also be for sale.
Friday’s lineup includes
- Big Daddy Kane is a rapper, producer and actor. He began his career in the 1980s as a member of Juice Crew and is one of the most influential MCs in Hip Hop.
- Troop is a R&B group from Pasadena, California. Their hits include “All I Do Is Think Of You,” “Sweet November” and “Spread My Wings.”
- Adina Howard is an R&B/Soul singer and songwriter. Her star starter to shine in the 1990s with her debut album, “Do You Wanna Ride?,” and single, “Freak to Me.”
- Anthony Bourte
- Jimmie Highsmith Jr. & Friends
Saturday’s lineup includes
- Silk is an R&B group from Atlanta. They are best known for their Number 1 hit “Freak Me.”
- Kid ‘n Play is a hip hop duo from New York City. Their hits include “Rollin’ With Kid ‘n Play,” “Ain’t Gonna Hurt Nobody” and “Funhouse.”
- Yo-Yo, aka Yolanda Whitaker, is a rapper and actress. Much of her music advocates female empowerment and she’s dubbed her crew the IBWC, Intelligent Black Women’s Coalition.
- NA$A featuring Amir Daze and Mikki LaDawn
- Rod Bonner
- Mambo Kings
If you’d like to save money on the Music Festival, book your ticket here and you can save $12 (36% discount) on each ticket. The savings will be automatic.
Many people like to go to festivals in an RV. It has its advantages. You don’t have an RV? Then you can rent one and Green Vacation Deals recommends RVShare.