If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
Colonel Harland Sanders is the founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken. He opened his first restaurant in the 1940s in southern Laurel County. Lee Cummings is the co-founder of Lee’s Famous Recipe Chicken. He also began his career in Laurel County with his uncle, Colonel Sanders. The World Chicken Festival is a tribute to this heritage.
This international celebration of all things chicken is held the last full weekend every September. Enjoy four fun filled days of “egg-cellent” entertainment and rides.
- Thursday, September 22 – 5 pm to 11 pm
- Friday, September 23 – 10 am to 11 pm
- Saturday, September 24 – 10 am to 11 pm
- Sunday, September 25 – 1 pm to 5 pm
Stage of Stars
There will be live entertainment throughout the festival. The Stage of Stars will have local, regional and national talented performers. It’s located at Town Center Stage in London, Kentucky. Entertainment schedule includes
- 6 pm – The Creekers
- 7 pm to 8:15 pm – Mama Said String Band
- 9 pm to 10:30 pm – Rob Ickes & Trey Hemsley
- 6 pm – Laid Back Country Picker
- 7:30 pm to 8:40 pm – Sean Whitney & the Big Badness
- 9 pm to 10:30 pm – Gin Blossoms
- 6 pm – Sydney Adams
- 7:30 pm to 8:15 pm – Ward Davis
- 9 pm to 10:30 pm – Tracy Laurence
The Sanders Stage
The Sanders Stage is presented by SAM 103.9 and Kinetic by Windstream. It will host local
and regional music performers. Entertainment schedule includes
- 5 pm – Peggy Inks
- 6 pm – Studio London
- 7 pm to 10 pm – OTG Karaoke
- 5 pm to 6:45 pm – Lance Rogers
- 7 pm – Brandon Martin
- 8:30 pm to 10 pm – Grayson Jenkins
- 4 pm – No Deceit
- 5:30 pm to 6:15 pm – Bek & the Starlight Revue
- 7 pm – Eric Bolander
- 8:30 pm to 9:15 pm – Mojo Thunder
The Sanders Stage will also host contests, including
- The Rooster Tail Mullet Contest
- Colonel Sanders Look-a-Like Contest
- Struttin, Cluckin & Crowin
- Karaoke Contest
- Culinar Chicken Cookoff Challenge
- Mother-Daughter Look-a-Like Contest
- Chicken Joke Telling Contest
Gospel Eggstravaganza Stage
Town Center Park will be transformed into the Gospel Eggstravaganza Stage. It will feature a blend of gospel, American folk music, a cappella hymns and inspirational music. Sunday Gospel schedule includes
- 1 pm – Old Tradition
- 2 pm – The Sound
- 3 pm – Fair Haven Quartet
- 4 pm – Jeff & Sheri Easter
Additional Festival Information
The World Chicken Festival features the World’s Largest Stainless Steel Skillet. It is 10 feet, 6 inches in diameter and 8 inches deep. It has an 8 foot handle and weighs 700 pounds. The skillet requires 300 gallons of cooking oil and can cook 600 quarters of chicken at one time.
Dinners are served by a Laurel County non-profit as a fund raiser.
- Drumstick Meal $5 – 1 fried drumstick, potato salad, baked beans and a roll
- Chicken Breast Snack $8 – ¼ fried chicken breast and a roll
- Chicken Breast Meal $10 – ¼ fried chicken breast, potato salad, baked beans and a roll
Grandpa Cratchet will be at the festival with his animal friends as he teaches others about “Taking the Garbage Out.” Grandpa is a funny puppet character and has appeared on The Today Show, Entertainment Tonight and Good Morning America.
There will be a “Run For The Roost” 5K Race on Saturday at 8 am. Come run/walk and the proceeds will help the Laurel Lake Baptist Camp. The 84 Lumber Chicken Invasion will be displaying painted wooden chickens in the Laurel County Courthouse.
The Festival offers a variety of exhibitors from arts and crafts to food booths featuring a taste of local cuisine. You can also enjoy carnival rides and games.
Magic Mike the Magician will put on a show that will produce laughter and gasps of amazement. Don’t miss this talented illusionist.
A favorite tradition of the festival is the Grand Festival Parade. It will begin on Saturday at 10 am. Grand Parade contestants are judged and awarded in several categories.
If you are interested in visiting Laurel County for the World Chicken Festival, there are 20 campgrounds near the festival.
If you’re interested in renting an RV, Green Vacation Deals recommends RVshare.
If your preference is for a hotel, you should consider the following hotels. They are all offering discounts which can save you money.