If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
In 1917, several Greek immigrants formed what today is one of the largest Greek Orthodox community in the United States. Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral has become a major force in the religious and social communities in Houston.
The 50th annual Original Greek Festival is coming to the Cathedral at 3511 Yoakum Boulevard. Celebrate all things Greek at this fun festival on October 6, 7 and 8, 2022.
There will be live entertainment throughout the festival. Alex Kalos, The Golden Greek, will be performing from 7 pm to 9:30 pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.
“Never On Sunday” and Zorba The Greek” introduced Greek dancing to moviegoers. Greek dances are divided into 3 groups. Each dance reflects the culture, customs and traditional costumes of the region.
- Nesslotika – Greek islands
- Demotika – Mainland
- Laika – Danced throughout Greece in the mainland and islands
Dance is a fundamental part of Greek religious festivities, national holidays and family celebrations. Greek dancers will be performing from 6:30 pm to 9 pm Thursday and Friday night and from 5 pm to 9 pm on Saturday night. The Youth Dance Program will perform on Saturday from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm.
Food & Drinks
Be sure to come hungry as there will be authentic Greek dishes and pastries. You can enjoy
- Never On Sundae
- Greek Salad
- Assorted Pastries
If you’d like to learn more about Greek cuisine, try these cookbooks. Click on the links to see how you can save money.
- Under The Olive Tree: Recipes from my Greek Kitchen
- A Taste Of Greek Recipes, Cuisine & Culture
- My Big Fat Greek Cookbook
Beverages available for purchase at the festival include beer, wine, coffee, soft drinks and water.
Clothing & Shopping
Grab your tunic, cloak, fustanella, sartsa and fermeli and reconnect with your inner Greek for the festival. Don’t have any? You can remedy that by clicking here for men’s clothing or here for women’s clothing.
The Original Greek Festival always provides a great shopping experience.
- Gift Shop carries Original Greek Festival souvenirs, unique gold jewelry, pottery, tote bags, hats, aprons, religious items, novelties and more.
- Import Shop carries imported Greek foods, books, cassettes and CDs.
- Iconography Display has hand crafted Byzantine icon and art displays.
Hotels & Airfare
People come from all over to attend the Original Greek Festival. If you’re visiting Houston for the festival, you should consider the following hotels. They are close to the Greek Festival and have discounted rates.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Houston Medical Center Hotel & Suites
- Cambria Hotel Houston Downtown Convention Center
- Hilton Americas – Houston
- Hampton Inn Houston Downtown
- Mainstay Suites Texas Medical Center
- Hilton Houston Plaza Medical Center
- Quality Inn Houston
If you’re going to be flying to Houston, check here and you can save money on your flight.
Looking for a coupon to help you save money on Houston’s Original Greek Festival? Click here and you can save up to 26% on your ticket. No promo code or discount code is needed!