If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
The pipes are calling you to the 49th Virginia Scottish Games. This will be happening on September 2 and 3, 2023, in The Plains, Virginia.
The Highland Games began hundreds of years ago in Scotland. They may be even more popular today than they have ever been. The games are built around Highland sports, but they also include dancing, music, delicious food, craft booths and much more.
- Braemar Stone Toss
- Open Stone Toss
- Heavy Weight For Distance
- Light Weight For Distance
- Heavy Hammer Toss
- Caber Toss
- Sheaf Toss
- Weight Over Bar
If you’ve never tried Scottish food, you’re in for a treat. The food you can expect to find at the Highland Games include
- Scotch Eggs
- Fish & Chips
- Meat Pies
There will also be a whiskey tasting for those who are 21+ and are interested.
Food Vendors will include
- Highland Catering
- Celtic Connection
- International Grill Company
- The Scottish Cottage
- Mad Magic Kombucha
- Kona Ice
- Blue Collar Mercantile
- Premiere Hospitality
Vendors will be at the Highland Games with Scottish items available for purchase. This is a very unique shopping experience.
- Cape Woolamai Mercantile Co.
- HiHo Silver
- Highland Heritage
- Just Peachy Jewels
- Scottish Gourmet
- Sunflower Trading
- The Larkin Tea Company
- Donegal Importers
- The Argyll Collection
- Sheeps Clothing
- Tilley’s Favorites
- Adrian Jenkins Photography
- R.E. Piland
- LaWrens Nest
- Sonny Fletcher Pottery
- The Amethyst Cauldron
Clans & Societies
You’ll take a step back in time when you visit the Colonel Robert Morrison Clan Field. You’ll see kilted clansmen and clanswomen in their traditional Highland attire. You can learn more about your Scottish roots and learn more about your heritage.
Enjoy the music of Scotland, Ireland and America at the Highland Games. Performers include
- Jil Chambless and Scooter Muse
- Steel City Rovers
- Sean Heely Celtic Band
The Fiddle Tent Schedule
- 9:30 am – Fiddling Workshop with Elke Baker
- 11 am – Potomac Valley Scottish Fiddle Club
- 12:30 pm – Sean Heely and Abbie Palmer
- 1:45 pm – Elke Baker and Ken Koloder
- 3 pm – The Devil’s Tailors
- 4:15 pm – Elke Baker and Ken Koloder
- 9 am – Fiddling Competition – Registration
- 10 am – Fiddling Competition – Performance
- 12:15 pm – Fiddling Competition – Awards Ceremony
- 1 pm – Tweedsyde
- 2:15 pm – Glencoe Lads – Sean Heely and Colin McGlenn
- 3:30 pm – Elke Baker and Susan Brandt
Gaidhlig is the oldest surviving language of Scotland. The Language Village is an interactive space where visitors are introduced to the language.
Highland Games Activities
Other activities at the Highland Games include
- British Car Show
- Scottish Dancing
- Scottish Dogs
- Highland Dance Competition
- Piping & Drumming
Be a part of this celebration of the rich Scottish/Irish history of Virginia and the Appalachian Mountains, experience championship competition and learn about your ancestry and traditional Scottish hospitality at its best.
If you liked the Scottish food at the festival and are interested in learning more about Scottish cooking, try these cookbooks. And you can use our links to save money on them.
- The Scottish Kitchen by Gary MacLean & Sam Heughan
- The Hebridean Baker: My Scottish Island Kitchen by Coinneah MacLeod
- Fanny’s Scottish Cookbook by J. Carter Merwin
Hotels & Lodging
If you’d like to visit The Plains for the Virginia Highland Games, you should consider the following hotels. They are offering discounted rates that can save you money on your stay.
- Comfort Inn & Suites Airport – 20% Discount
- Red Roof Inn Leesburg – 20% Discount
- Quality Inn Manassas – 20% Discount
- Comfort Suites Manassas Battlefield Park – 20% Discount
- Sonesta ES Suites Airport – 15% Discount
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manassas Battlefield – 15% Discount
- Baymont by Wyndham – 15% Discount
- Country Inn & Suites Radisson, Airport, VA – 15% Discount
- Wyndham Garden Manassas – 15% Discount
- Sonesta ES Suites Fairfax Fair Lakes – 15% Discount
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manassas VA – Airport – 15% Discount
- Red Roof Inn Warrenton – 10% Discount
- Wingate by Wyndham Chantilly – 10% Discount
- Red Roof Inn PLUS + Manassas – 10% Discount
- Hilton Fairfax – 5% Discount
Many people like to go to festivals in an RV. It has its advantages. You don’t have an RV? Then you can rent one and Green Vacation Deals recommends RVShare.
The Plains, Virginia, is within 28 miles of Leesburg, Manassas, Front Royal, Centreville, Fairfax, Reston & Vienna. The Plains is 40 miles from Washington, D.C., and 69 miles from Baltimore.