If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
Vacation In Lansing, Michigan
Michigan’s capital city of Lansing is home to the 1870s Capitol building featuring a cast-iron dome. Lanisng is the birthplace of the Oldsmobile and has the R. E. Olds Transportation Museum.
The Michigan History Center is home to the Michigan History Museum and the Archives of Michigan. Michigan State University is in Lansing. Go Spartans!
Lansing offers outdoor activities galore. Enjoy kayaking, canoeing, an urban beach, trails for running, hiking and biking, golf courses, and disc, and footgolf.
There are more than 18 miles of trails along the Grand and Red Cedar Rivers. On the Lansing River Trail, you can see local landmarks, Old Town historic sites, the Lansing City Market, downtown shopping district, and Michigan State University (Go Spartans!).
Lansing is known for its breweries and distilleries. Take a tour and tastings at Red Cedar Distillery.
Nearby Fitzgerald Park is the home of the ledges, ancient sedimentary rock outcroppings. Native American tribes led by Chief Okemos called this area “Big Rocks.” The tribe came every year in the spring to hunt and to tap the sugar maples. A summer camp was established there in 1800s by the Grand Ledge Spiritualist Camp Association. They erected the large pavilion, a big red barn, which still stands. In 1919, it became a public park.
Fitzgerald Park has 78 acres and borders the Grand River. 270 million-year-old sedimentary rocks line the riverbank. They are the most impressive cliffs in the Lower Peninsula. Bring your camera. You’ll want to take photos for sure.
The park has 3 miles of nature and hiking trails, basketball and volleyball courts,2 softball diamonds, disc golf course, canoe/kayak access to the Grand River, 2 miles of cross country ski trails, and a sledding hill. It also has rustic campsites.
If your preference is for a hotel, you should consider the following. These hotels are offering discounted rates up to 62%. You can book these through Hotels.com to realize the savings.
- Staybridge Suites Lansing – Okemos 62% Discount
- Candlewood Suites East Lansing 50% Discount
- Courtyard by Marriott East Lansing Okemos 33% Discount
- Hampton Inn & Suites East :Lansing Okemos 29% Discount
- Marriott East Lansing at University Place 24% Discount
- Best Western Okemos/East Lansing Hotel & Suites 22% Discount
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott East Lansing 19% Discount
- Residence Inn Lansing West 18% Discount
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Lansing West 18% Discount
- Hampton Inn & Suites Lansing West MI 17% Discount
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Lansing at Eastwood 15% Discount
- Hampton Inn East Lansing 15% Discount
- Crowne Plaza Lansing West 14% Discount
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing 13% Discount
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott East Lansing University Area 12% Discount
- Comfort Inn Okemos – East Lansing 11% Discount
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Lansing West 11% Discount
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Lansing, MI 10% Discount
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Okemos 10% Discount
- Hyatt Place Lansing/Eastwood Towne Cente 10% Discount
- Quality Inn University 10% Discount
- Radisson Hotel/Lansing At The Capitol 10% Discount