If you click on the links in this post, we may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post, at no extra cost to you. You can read the full disclaimer here.
Chicago has one of the largest Memorial Day Parade in the country. It is a highlight of spending Memorial Day weekend in Chicago.
The Windy City gets all decked out in red, white and blue. Thousands of people come to downtown Chicago to honor veterans and active duty military. Gold star families are given yellow roses.
The parade is held to honor those who died in the service of their country. At 11 am on Saturday, May 28, 2022, a wreath laying ceremony will be held at the Eternal Flame on Daley Plaza. This kicks off the parade. You’ll see marching bands from local schools, a drum and bugle corps, floats, soldiers on horseback, marching veteran groups, ROTC cadets and much more.
Memorial Day Festivities
Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of the festival season in Chicago. The following are some of the festivals happening over the holiday weekend.
- Mole De Mayo is held in the historic Pilsen neighborhood. This outdoor Mexican food fest also has live entertainment and craft vendors.
- Suenos Music Festival in Grant Park is Chicago’s first ever reggaeton fest with a lineup of Latin hit makers.
- Belmont Sheffield Music Fest in the waterfront Lakeview neighborhood has tribute bands, artisans and beer and wine vendors.
- Chicago Friday Night Flights is a craft and beer tasting event featuring 36 Chicago breweries.
- Randolph Street Market Festival has over 200 vendors selling unique antiques, vintage items and collectibles plus a gourmet food market.
The Navy Pier is a waterfront stretch of restaurants, rides, entertainment and more. The Memorial Fireworks Show will take place at 10 pm on Saturday.
Other Things to Do in Chicago
And while you’re in Chicago, take some time to explore the city. See all the sights with a CityPass ticket.
Or take a Haunted Tour Ghost Hunt if you dare…..
If you’d like to visit Chicago during the Memorial Day weekend, you should consider the following hotels. Click on this link to see how you can save money on them.
- Red Roof Inn PLUS + Chicago – Naperville 20% Discount
- Sonesta Chicago O’Hare Airport Rosemont 16% Discount
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago North Shore Deerfield 15% Discount
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Schaumburg, IL 15% Discount
- Wyndham Chicago O’Hare 15% Discount
- DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago – North Shore Conference Center 15% Discount
- Radisson Hotel Schaumburg 15% Discount
- Wyndham Garden Elk Grove Village/O’Hare 15% Discount
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Hoffman Estates, IL 15% Discount
- Sonesta Simply Suites Chicago Libertyville 14% Discount
- Claridge House 15% Discount
- Sonesta ES Suites Chicago – Lombard 13% Discount
- Sonesta ES Suites Chicago – Schaumburg 13% Discount
- Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston, an IHG Hotel 11% Discount
- Estia Hotel & Suites 10% Discount
- Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield 10% Discount
- Hyatt Regency Schaumburg Chicago 10% Discount
- Hilton Chicago/Oak Lawn 10% Discount
- Sonesta Simply Suites Chicago O’Hare 10% Discount
- Sonesta ES Suites Chicago Waukegan 9% Discount
- Staybridge Suites Lincolnshire, an IHG Hotel 8% Discount
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chicago O’Hare Airport, an IHG Hotel 6% Discount
- Found Hotel Chicago River North 4% Discount